Thursday, January 1, 2009

Step 1 - Purchase Boots

We will be backpacking in the rugged terrain at Philmont, therefore we all need some good sturdy boots. After reading alot about what to look for, etc. we took a trip to our local REI shop. What I like about REI is their satisfaction guranteed committment. There are two REI shops in our area, one in Plano and one in Dallas. http://www.rei.com/FindStores

Alex and I decided to go to the one in Dallas since it is larger and we thought would have more selection. It did have a good selection on the display wall, however, since it was just after the holidays and the bit REI sales, they didn't have very much selection in the back. However, Alex did find a pair of boots by ss that he did like and so we had one down. I tried on a few pairs, but really didn't find anything I liked. I did find out the size that I needed, and got alot of good advice and information from the sales person.

Oliver and I tried out the Plano location. We thought that perhaps they might have a few more selections left, since it was a bit out of the way for some in the metroplex. Oliver found a really nice pair of all leather boots that he liked. He tried on several sizes and found out that we hoped would last him for more than the 6 months until the trip. It is hard since he needs time to break them in, but his feet are still growing.

I verified the size I needed by trying on a couple of boots. They had a nice REI brand that were on sale for a fantastic price, but they didn't have the Asolos in my size. The Asolo had great reviews on line while some of the others complained about wearing out soles and coming apart boots. I am expecting the boots I buy to last me several years, since my feet are not growing ;-)
I went ahead and purchased a pair on line - through REI of course so I can return if they don't fit or I don't like.

So, now we can begin the break in process

No comments:

Post a Comment